Friday, February 7, 2014

the blog series you've all been waiting for


actually... probably not. most likely, the blog series i couldn't wait for.

so. it started a few months ago when i made the decision to build up my cosmetics collection to how i've always wanted it. those who know me well know i have a mini love affair with makeup. however, i've never embraced it because makeup = money, and lydia = poor. when it comes to makeup i've always done the same thing my whole life - wait till i run out of something and then buy it on clearance at the grocery store. anything else would make me feel guilty. well, after countless hours of reading makeup blogs and watching tutorials on youtube and making lists and lists of the perfect makeup i would like to buy in my dreams, i decided to admit to myself: i'm in love with makeup, and it's okay to pursue it if i'm passionate about it.

i am aware that this obsession could be considered materialistic and borderline shallow. however, i like to think of it as artistic. don't judge.

as i mentioned, the last few months i've been doing what i've always wanted to do, and building up my cosmetics collection. i haven't gotten any richer, but i've let myself spend on makeup. i've done so much research that i feel like i'm familiar with almost every brand of makeup out there (not really), and i'm getting to know what is worth spending money on and what is worth buying at the grocery store (debatable). i have some things from the grocery store that i've always liked and will always buy, some things at the grocery store that i plan to try, and slowly but surely i'm getting the expensive things that i've always wanted to give a whirl. i've also been working with a lot of cosmetics and skin care companies on participating in the series and sponsoring giveaways. the responses have been better than i ever expected and i am so excited to share all about it with you!

in fact, i've been so excited about it that i've decided to make the series sort of more than a series. kind of like a permanent thing. see that shiny new button on the right? that's where i'll link all my future posts about makeup, skincare, and haircare, sharing with you as i experiment and learn about these wonderful things. i am well aware that i am no expert, by any means. i'm just the average girl with a makeup obsession who is not a professional but determined to become an expert. i figure there's got to be lots of girls like me out there and maybe some of them would be interested in a blog just like this one. of course, this blog will continue to be first and foremost a lifestyle blog. it's just upped its game.

stay tuned for tomorrow when i share the first post of my new potentially continuous cosmetics series. :)


10 comments:

  1. i'm in the same boat! i've been slowly investing in better makeup. i'm convinced that once you get the good stuff you can't go back (even though i still have my grocery store mascara favs)! i dont have a makeup obsession though, or an eye for it so my sister has to tell me how to wear everything haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. truth: grocery store mascara is the best.

      Delete
  2. i can't wait for your series! i hardly wear all the makeup i have... but i can't help but still love it & always feel a need to buy more.. it's a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of cosmetics, I wear them but I don't like them a whole lot, and prefer to go without make-up. However, I'm discovering the beauty of cosmetics as I'm getting older and needing them more, lol. So, I appreciate any knowledge you can lend on the topic since I know almost nothing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woot! Can't wait to read all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lydia, I think you are fantastic. I'm so excited to read all about it! Way to go after something you're passionate about. Also I think we should go to lunch or something. We can talk about makeup and New Girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ummm, this sounds like a SPLENDID idea. new girl + makeup (we should go to ulta) + food (maybe zupas?) + maybe i can see you're cute baby girl = dream girl date

      Delete
  6. yesss! i am so looking forward to this. you have no idea, i'm in a total makeup rut. same thing every dang day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay! i'm excited. being interested in makeup does not make you materialistic or vain one ounce! it IS very artistic. & trying new products is so fun. woohoo!

    ReplyDelete