Wednesday, November 6, 2013

c a k e | c a k e | c a k e

i've decided to do something wild today. i'm going to share with you my chocolate cake recipe. the cake my blog is named after.

i used to be a brownie person. a die-hard, make-chocolate-chip-brownies-every-day-of-the-summer person. brownies and i had a very serious relationship - all love, no hate. and then something drastic happened. i tasted the glory that is called kaity's chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting and ganache. it stemmed a very bloody break up between me and my beloved brownies and marked an instant love affair between me and chocolate cake that has yet to wane. you guys. this cake is the real deal. it's moist and rich and soft and practically melts in your mouth.

i even insisted on using this recipe for my wedding cake, and it was a. hit. i'm genuinely excited for when dallas and i can unwrap our tin-foiled year old cake in 8 months to relive it's glory.


i don't know where kaity originally got this  recipe, but i've changed it a little over time (is that illegal?). here is the recipe:

Chocolate Cake Recipe
Makes 2-8” layers
2 oz fine-quality semisweet chocolate, such as El Rey (my preference) or Callebaut
1 cups hot brewed postum
2 cups sugar
1 2/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process; I use Ghirardelli)
1 1/3 tsp baking  soda
½ tsp baking powder
4/5 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
½ tsp pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. If you’re making cupcakes, line the wells of your pans with fluted paper liners, or grease and dust them with flour or cocoa. If you’re making larger cakes, grease pans and line bottoms with rounds of wax paper. Grease paper.

Finely chop chocolate and in a bowl combine with hot postum. Let mixture stand, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.

Into a large bowl sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another (very) large bowl, beat eggs with an electric mixer until thickened slightly and lemon-colored (about 3 minutes with a standing mixer or 5 minutes with a hand-held mixer). Slowly add oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted chocolate mixture to eggs, beating until combined well. Add sugar mixture and beat on medium speed, bracing yourself against puffs of cocoa-and-flour dust, until just combined well.
Divide batter between pans. Bake in middle of oven 20 to 25 minutes for cupcakes, or 50 to 70 minutes for larger cakes, until a tester inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool cakes completely in pans on racks. Run a thin knife around edges of pans and remove cupcakes, or invert larger cakes onto racks. If making larger cakes, carefully remove wax paper. Cakes may be made one day ahead and kept, wrapped well in plastic wrap, at room temperature.

Makes 3-8” or 2-10” or 1-11x15
3 oz fine-quality semisweet chocolate, such as El Rey (my preference) or Callebaut
1 ½ cups hot postum (2-4 tablespoons of postum)
3 cups sugar
2 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process; I use Ghirardelli)
2 tsp baking soda
¾ tsp baking powder
1 ¼ tsp salt
3 large eggs
¾ cup canola oil
1 ½ cups well-shaken buttermilk
¾ tsp pure vanilla extract

for the ganache, i just look up recipes on the internet and switch it up from time to time. 

the same goes for the peanut butter frosting. my main advice is to use adam's peanut butter, because there's really nothing better.

i'll warn you now that this is sort of a temperamental cake. you have to follow the directions spot-on and don't rush it. expect to take a couple hours. trust me, it's worth it.

happy eating.

9 comments:

  1. this sounds completely delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me miss you and Kaity. Come visit me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy cow, now that is a serious cake. Obsessed! I'm hosting a handbag giveaway on the blog today. If you get a sec, I'd love if you could enter. :) Thanks, love. xo

    www.fashboulevard.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! Thanks for sharing! I will definitely have to save this one.

    I just stumbled across your blog, and this recipe has convinced me to stay. Can't wait to read more :)

    Your newest follower,
    Autumn

    http://theausamlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh. Now I want chocolate cake and I know it won't compare. Why do I suck at baking? :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this makes me feel so inadequate! You've clearly got a serious talent! This sounds absolutely mouthwatering! Love your blog, following! :)

    http://www.ragsoflove.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so good! I've never tried anything like this but the way you describe this I just know I need to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy Yummy.
    I follow you on bloglovin and gfc dear, i hope you follow me back!
    Kiss!

    ReplyDelete