Monday, February 18, 2013

our love story?



I have thought about if I should do this or not for a while now. I don't know if it should be considered too private for the blogging world. But then I remember that I only have ten followers, so what the heck. And maybe, just maybe, someone will be able to relate to this story, or maybe it will restore someone's faith in that hard thing called love. Because let's face it: it's not like it is in the movies (as my grandmother tried to unsuccessfully convince to me one day). And no one's love story is perfect.

Especially ours.

Flash back 2 1/2 years ago.

Once upon a time there was a very confident, yet very needy, 18 year old girl named Lydia. She lived with her best friend, JaNae, in Provo, Utah. It was the start of the summer and we were determined to make it the best one yet. We had all these plans to be social and popular and pull all nighters and be wild. Cuz that's what a Mormon party is.

So. It was the first Monday of the summer. Family Home Evening. If you don't know what that is then look it up here. JaNae and I were going to be late for some reason, I can't remember why. We headed over to a boys' apartment, but, alas, FHE was already over. The boys didn't care though, they invited us in to meet them anyway. We took a seat on the couch and proceeded with the lame introductions, ya know, your name, your place of origin, your hobbies. All I can really remember about this meeting is being surrounded by six other guys, being asked a bunch of questions, and only coming up with idiotic answers. Like "so what do you guys like to do for fun?" "um... stare at the wall?" That really happened. Sadly, I don't really remember meeting Dallas. But he does.

He claims he can remember the instant I walked in the door, and it was sort of like love at first sight. He couldn't keep me out of his mind for a week, and he realized all his "feelings for other girls were nothing." Creepy much? I mean, I don't even think he exchanged real words with me that night. Don't worry, it gets cuter.

The next time we hung out was a week later when JaNae and I invited his apartment over to watch Sound of Music with us on Sunday. Only Dallas and his friend Josh showed up. I don't really remember much from this time either, other than Josh trying to get us all to sing along out loud for every song (for real), and me hating it. Imagine this scene with me for a second, will ya? Four kids jammed on a little couch in front of a laptop playing sound of music in the middle of the day. One insists that it becomes a sing a long sesh, but you refuse -- you know if they heard you sing their eardrums would probably burst. But then Josh starts singing solo anyway so you sit awkwardly, wondering when this life will ever end. If you start singing, who will commit suicide first? And Dallas, he didn't talk much.

I know we hung out a lot with Dallas' apartment the rest of the summer. I don't remember it much. In there somewhere was a Jurassic Park marathon, Emperor's New Groove (in which JaNae quoted every line verbatim) and smoothies, and bonfires. The important part is that Dallas didn't ask me out on our first date for six months and I had no idea quiet Dallas was interested. Until October 2010.

To be continued.

5 comments:

  1. So... you started dating seriously in October? I'm happy for you Lydia. I hope he is kind, and that you enjoy doing a lot (not all necessarily, but a lot) of the same things (that is very important- more so than most other things you think are important when you are considering loving someone).

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH girl! We need to talk. I love reading your love story online but want to hear more! When will you be coming up next...anytime ??? I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, so sweet to hear how you met. And you guys are seriously such a cute couple. I have all of these questions for you. You may be getting some texts from me today.

    Also my girls still talk about you two and want to know when you can come back. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are the cutest. I want more details! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe love these kind of posts! Beautiful love story. X

    ReplyDelete