Wednesday, August 22, 2012

I apologize for abusing the word ‘excited.’


For the past five days I got to visit the lovely home of Lola Nelson, my dear grandmother. I really enjoy spending time with my grandmother; she is such an inspiring soul. And fortunately, I had my grandmother all to myself for the entire five days. This meant almost a week of utter relaxation and pretending to be an old lady. It was great! It also meant eating questionable food, crashing strangers’ wedding receptions, and being forced fed copious amounts of sweets. Not that I am complaining. I slept for more hours than I was awake (which is totally acceptable right before the semester starts), I read two Harry Potter books, and I drove my grandmother’s catalac. We also ate out every day and read magazines and watched Disney teen movies. But that’s another story.

In fact, it was so chill that it made me completely excited for school to start in a week. I can’t tell you how excited I am to move back to Provo and start my new classes. And let me tell you, anybody who is close to me in any way knows that this is the most outrageously unlike thing of me to want (yes, that sentence makes sense). I am the first one to complain about Provo and its twisted-to-the-point-of-unhealthy dating obsession and its lack of fun things to do (give us a drive in movie theater for crying out loud!), and I always hate the first day of school (don’t tell my little sister I said that). It’s not that I don’t absolutely love BYU, because I do. It’s more the it’s-the-beginning-of-the-semester-and-you-have-four-months-ahead-of-you idea that I detest. It automatically makes me tired and weary and I slide into my procrastination ditch by the end of the first day.

But this semester, it’s different, and I am trying to figure out why I have this unexpected anxious/happy feeling. And I came up with a few assumptions:

1)   I am so excited for my classes. This semester all of my classes revolve around my major and minors and I am more than excited to engulf myself in art history and womens’ studies issues. Yes.
2)   I just got back from my study abroad and I have a whole slew of new fantastic people to call my friends. I am so excited!
3)   My new job. I with still be keeping my old job as secretary at the campus carpenter shop, but I will also be TAing for an art history class. YEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment